Sunday, December 11, 2016

6 November 2016

Hi Calum,

I'm going to start with the growth mindset quote that I put in my weekly note to my teachers this week.  

“Mia Hamm tells us, “After every game or practice, if you walk off the field knowing that you gave everything you had, you will always be a winner.”  For those with the fixed mindset, success is about establishing their superiority, pure and simple.  Being that somebody who is worthier than the nobodies…Remember, in the fixed mindset, effort is not a cause for pride.  It is something that casts doubt on your talent.” 

I think that's how you felt as a soccer player.  You gave everything you had, win or lose, while in the game.  And in the end, that made you a winner, even if your team lost the game.  That is the growth mindset.  The fixed mindset says that if you have to work hard for something, then you don't have natural talent, and in that mindset, that is not a good thing.  That's why 'effort is not a cause for pride'.  The fixed mindset says you should be ashamed if you have to put forth effort.  It should come naturally.  I think you can apply this to your mission as well.  If you are giving your all, every day, then you are a winner as a missionary.  You can feel good about about what you are doing each day.  It's not about being superior to the other missionaries.  I believe that you are giving your all every day.  You can keep it up throughout the remainder of your mission.
Hello mum,

That's a super cool quote. President Marston talks about that all the time. If we don't get any lesson in a day if no one answers the door, if we never baptize anyone, if we can go to bed knowing we did our best, then we were a successful missionary.

I did get the parcel! I was so excited! Elder Osborne and I were just talking about how much we loved the Reeses that were in different shapes and then you sent those! We were super excited!
And Riley looked adorable in his little costume! And I got the video of him singing All My Loving! That was the cutest one ever! Elder Osborne loves the Beatles too, so I showed him and he said it was the cutest thing he's ever seen!

Tell him I said I miss him and I love him! And tell him to keep going to school and keep singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment